Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Brass Section



No, this post is not about musical instruments or a band........My Dad is a collector too.....in fact, I am sure I inherited my collecting habit from him. He loves crystal (cut glass and Swarovski) and he loves brass. The mortal and pestle pictured here belonged to my Dad's grandfather, Nicholas......When I was a little girl it always sat on top of the bookcase in the hallway next to the stairs in my grandparents' farmhouse. My Dad grew up in that house and he remembers it since he was a child too...and he tells us that his father's brother, Uncle Harry has memories of his own parents (my great grandparents) actually using it in the family kitchen. The old kerosene lamp was also from the parlor in the farmhouse. My grandmother had it cleaned, polished and electrified. They both look just right in my parent's gracious southern home.

1 comment:

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I had to show my Yankee your dad's old mortar and pestle, Laura. He loves vintage brass items and would probably have a house full of such items - were it not for me. However...brass is not MY metal of choice. ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/